I recently learnt that, according to Malone and Lepper, the factors that enhance intrinsic motivation are:
- Challenge allows a person to work toward a meaningful goal.
- Curiosity stimulates the desire to learn about something.
- Control allows one to control what happens to them.
- Fantasy turns learning into a game by using mental images rather than things actually present.
- Competition lets a person feel satisfaction by comparing their performance to others.
- Cooperation and recognition bring satisfaction and appreciation from others to the motivator.
I think it is quite interesting to see what actually drives us to learn more in our lives. For me personally, I would say it is mainly the challenge and curiosity factors that motivate me to gain new knowledge and skills.
What encourages YOU to educate yourself?